Frozen Linux desktop

Installation, supported revisions
terje

Frozen Linux desktop

Post by terje » Sun May 29, 2005 9:01 pm

This problem is currently under investigation on another hardware, in case this can be a hardware issure or failure.

I have removed the previous content of this post, until I have tested M4 R2 Beta on another hardware. This because I have encountered similar freeze problem or not proper working using other applications on JDS3 and SuSe Linux Pro 9.3.

I will try to install and test M4 on another hardware system with the same Linux distros installed. This to clarify if I may have got a hardware or memory (management) failure on my PC.

I'm sorry for the confusion and possible inconvenience. Of course I'll come back again to inform and clarify about the next result.

-----------------
Terje J. Hanssen

terje

Frozen Linux desktop

Post by terje » Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:45 pm

I promised a follow-up and here it is:

My test is now executed on another hardware (an older but working Intel N440BX PII server this time), with JDS3 installed and upgraded with the related gcc and g77 packages version 3.3.5.

And I'm glad to tell and clarify that I did not notice memory leak running M4 beta this time (if there was any, it was so small that I couldn't verify it). It looks therefore, as I previous indicated, that a hardware or memory failure had occured on my ordinary AMD PC and that this was the reason for the fast memory leak with following desktop freeze after few minutes. Or less probably, some combination of software and hardware arcitechture that didn't work together.

Terje J. Hanssen

terje

Frozen Linux desktop

Post by terje » Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:11 pm

Good news (at last):

I'm happy to tell that my JDS3 is working properly (again) on my AMD PC. That is, I'm running the Medusa4 on top of JDS3 upgraded with the gcc and gcc-g77 related version 3.3.5 packages. And everything works quite properly. I have to add so far, because it is only one hour since I had finished a new installation from scratch. And there is no more "memory leak", which previous froze my desktop after few minutes. And I haven't done anything with the hardware at all.

I thought it was remarkable that if there really was a hardware failure, also Windows and Suse Linux should run in similar trouble. Therefore I decided to try the last way and formatted the JDS3 partions again and run a fresh new installation (my third of this beta). That's all. Now it works. I can neither tell what could have happened with my previous JDS3 installation, which worked until the serious problems suddenly occured and that has created a lot of frustration and work with another installation in the meantime.

As an example, during the trouble time, just starting Medusa4 consumed 138Mb memory and continued to use more. Now Medusa4 use the normal 44Mb to startup the first blank sheet!

Terje J. Hanssen