Generating B-O-M's using Medusa Vs AutoCAD

Drafting questions
bsculthorp

Post by bsculthorp » Wed Aug 11, 2004 3:34 am

Hi,

This may be a little long, but please bare with me.

I am currently working on a project to generate Bills Of Material (B-O-M's) data from a 2-D Drafting CAD System; I am looking into the feasibility of different systems.

We are using AutoCAD LT which we have trailed and have successfully generated B-O-M's by extracting attribute data to an ASCII file (txt) which we then manipulate in our MRP (Access db) to generate
B-O-M's.

(1) How can Medusa be used to generate B-O-M, does the software use an attribute driven extraction method?

We are keen to customise the user interface and provide the users with bespoke functions / commands
We are currently using AutoCAD LT, which does not support a programming language. (however full versions of AutoCAD support both Visual Basic and Auto Lisp)

(2) I have read that MEDUSA supports BASICSII, is this a VB type programming language? And is it possible to write sub-routines to extract data to Windows programme - preferably Access without having to manually transfer the data from different file types?(allowing for seamless transfer of data between CAD and Access)

3) Does Medusa support drawing file formats - dwg. and dxf.?

If anyone can clarify any of these issues, I would be very grateful.

Thanks
Ben

Don

Post by Don » Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:08 pm

Hello Ben; Yes medusa does have user attributes and you can also extract data by structure and element type. If want more info on this let me know.

Regards,

Don.

DSTEIN

Post by DSTEIN » Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:14 pm

[quote author=Don link=1092209679/0#1 date=1093950499]Hello Ben; Yes medusa does have user attributes and you can also extract data by structure and element type. If want more info on this let me know.

Regards,

Don.[/quote]
I would like info on this, specifically on file types/formats.
Dave

Medusa_Chairman

Post by Medusa_Chairman » Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:34 am

Medusa is a great system for customizing and generating bom's.

Bacis 2 is an outstanding language for customizing Medusa, it's fast and easy to learn.

Medusa does have attributes that can be attached to an element on a print. You can select elements by these attributes.

I currently have a system to generate wiring harnesses with 1000's of attributes on each sheet. I generate up to 30 different reports depending on the customer and the plant building the harnesses.

Medusa does have a great database and the ability to attach to oracle. With little trouble you can talk to an sql_server database.

Yes Medusa does support dwg and dxf.

The great thing about Medusa is that it is open and can be programmed to do just about anything you can think of.