Rotational Scheme/modeling advise?

Bacis2 and API programming
Vacua4thepeople

Post by Vacua4thepeople » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:46 pm

I am create a sketch for a cylindrical chamber the has flange feeds coming out perpendicular to the chamber, but at non-perpendicular angles relative to the center line of the cylinder.

I have started by sketching the feeds that are in a certain plane, but how can i draw the other feeds? With solidworks I would probably create a 3d Drawing of it and rotate it so that i could boss similar feeds at those angles. Can I do any such thing with medusa? Any other advise on how I might be able to do this? Thanks for any help.

(Btw just got medusa4 and I friggin love it way more than solidworks)

admin

Post by admin » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:55 am

[quote author=Vacua4thepeople link=1321479994/0#0 date=1321479994]I am create a sketch for a cylindrical chamber the has flange feeds coming out perpendicular to the chamber, but at non-perpendicular angles relative to the center line of the cylinder.

I have started by sketching the feeds that are in a certain plane, but how can i draw the other feeds? With solidworks I would probably create a 3d Drawing of it and rotate it so that i could boss similar feeds at those angles. Can I do any such thing with medusa? [/quote]

Yes, there are two methods.

If the feeds are of differing sizes you create new viewboxes on the sheet so that the views are perpendicular to the axis of the feed, and define the feed using simple constructs in there. See "Defining Oblique Views Using Viewprims" in the Medusa help pages.

If the feeds are the same size(s), make a model of just the feed in a separate sheet and then incorporate into the chamber drawing using Instance Prims. See "Positioning and Scaling the Instanced Model" in the help pages. The help does not make it clear that the orientation of the instance is controlable by the orientation of the prim, and that it can be in a oblique viewbox too, so precise positioning and orientation can be made.

Mike