Linux on fedora 21

Installation, supported revisions
caterham

Linux on fedora 21

Postby caterham » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:19 pm

Hello,
the documentation about installation on linux is a little thin. I did the install on a up- to date fedora 21 machine (64bit linux kernel 3.19.3-fc, dual Xeon, Quadro 2200 w. nvidia- driver 346.47).

There where some issues with the 32- bit libs. First the installer would not start and after installation, Medusa terminated with an error message.

I don't like to install big piles of libraries which might be used by some software, I normally check, which libs are really needed and then install only these. I put together a list of searched libraries by Medusa. This list works with fedora 21 and Gnome v3.14.4- Shell. First, download Medusa from the Schroer- Server and get your license as usual. To use the small script, download it to your home- directory, chmod- it to make it executable and start it. You need root- access to your machine.

On other Linux- flavours, there might be a similar way to install the libs. (for example Ubuntu: sudo apt-get install ... )

In case, there are more missing libs on your installation than I have detected on mine: On fedora (and other similar distros) you can detect which package provides a certain library by using the provides- command:
example:

Code: Select all

yum provides librsvg-2.so.2

Hope, this helps other users.

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
#
# script to install needed shells and 32- bit libs on fedora 21 / 64bit / Gnome v3.14.4 for MEDUSA4, V5.x
#

sudo yum install csh
sudo yum install mesa-libGL.i686
sudo yum install mesa-libGLU.i686
sudo yum install libXt.i686
sudo yum install zlib.i686
sudo yum install glib2.i686
sudo yum install freetype.i686
sudo yum install libXrender.i686
sudo yum install fontconfig.i686
sudo yum install libxml2.i686
sudo yum install libgomp.i686