How to change dark background for message line?

Installation, supported revisions
terje

How to change dark background for message line?

Post by terje » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:32 am

The M4P v.5.2.1 pop-up message lines at cursor pointing on tools (Gnome 3.14.1 and Mate 1.8.1 DE's) are almost unreadable due to black text on a dark grey-green background color field. See the attached screen shot below.

Can someone tell me how to change this background color in Medusa?

I had a look into the related "Select background color Dialog" Fig. 9 (sheet colors)
but was not able to find "The Select Color Dialog" Fig. 10 ?
http://www.cad-schroer.de/fileadmin/Dow ... G6.1246978

Thanks,
Terje
Attachments
M4P_Message_line_Dark_background.png
Dark background color for message line
M4P_Message_line_Dark_background.png (139.64 KiB) Viewed 3821 times

TDerksen

Re: How to change dark background for message line?

Post by TDerksen » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:21 am

Hi Terje,

There is no setting for the background color for tool-tips in Medusa4.
I tried reproduce your problem but the tool-tips color is correctly shown. So I assume it might be a graphic driver problem, you could update those drivers and try again.
If this doesnt solve your problem please tell me.
Which Linux Distribution and graphic card (driver) you are using?

Regards
Thomas

terje

Post by terje » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:48 pm

Hi Thomas,

Thank you for replying.

I'm running the latest stable openSUSE release 13.2
Kernel: 3.16.7-7-desktop x86_64 (64 bit) with all system updates
and neccesary 32bit packages added.

The only warning message that arise at the Medusa startup is two lines

Code: Select all

QGtkStyle was unable to detect the current GTK+ theme.
QGtkStyle was unable to detect the current GTK+ theme.
I can also confirm the same black tooltips text on dark bacground issue arise on two different machines, graphical cards and drivers as follows:

/sbin/lspci -nnk | grep VGA -A2
01:05.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RS880 [Radeon HD 4290] [1002:9714]
    Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device [1043:8454]
    Kernel driver in use: radeon

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation G92GLM [Quadro FX 3600M] [10de:061c] (rev a2)
    Subsystem: NVIDIA Corporation Device [10de:0518]
    Kernel driver in use: nouveau
In comparision the Gnome 3.14.1 desktop docking favorite tooltips apply WHITE text on the same background.
I think also white text color for Medusa tooltips would have worked fine. See the attached screen shot below.

--------
Terje
Attachments
Docking_favorites.png
Docking_favorites.png (24.03 KiB) Viewed 3806 times

terje

Post by terje » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:51 pm

Yep, when I login to a KDE 4.14 session on the same installation, Medusa tooltip text background is highlighted (inverse video) in a light color.
I think this is the way it is meant to be and has been also on previous Gnome versions. And the GTK+ theme warnings also disappeared during at startup.
So maybe here is something due to Medusa was not able to detect the Gnome GTK+ theme(?)

See the attached screen shot, here from my AMD/ATI machine using KDE 4.14:

Terje
Attachments
M4P_tooltips_kde.png
M4P_tooltips_kde.png (16.31 KiB) Viewed 3799 times

MikeCauser

Post by MikeCauser » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:03 pm

You could try two things that might work. Change the desktop theme, or install gnome-color-choser and change the tooltips settings with it.

However, I've tried both on Mint-17/Cinnamon-2.2.16 (which is based on Gnome 2), and neither will change Medusa -- or Firefox for that matter.

Wherever Medusa is getting the colours from the tips are black on light yellow on my installation.

Mike

terje

Post by terje » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:35 pm

Hi Mike,

Back to the Gnome 2 I also think the Medusa4 tooltip didn't have this dark backround issue, which truly has arised with the Gnome 3.x desktop. I have now rolled back and reinstalled two older openSUSE/Gnome3 versions, and testing Medusa shows that the same issue occures on openSUSE 12.3/Gnome 3.6, openSUSE 13.1/Gnome 3.10 and now on the latest openSUSE 13.2/Gnome 3.14.1. The two first are also listed among the working platforms in the Medusa 5.2.1 installation guide, though my take is that Medusa has been tested only with the default KDE desktop that works.

I had alreday played a little with the themes settings, but there are not other options than the default Adwaita and HighContrast for Window, GTK+ and Icons (nothing for the shell).

And I installed the gnome-color-chooser, but didn't see how or what to change the color that would influence the tooltip background.

Terje

MikeCauser

Post by MikeCauser » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:03 am

And I installed the gnome-color-chooser, but didn't see how or what to change the color that would influence the tooltip background.
The tooltips setting is under the "Specific" tab in Gnome-color-chooser. After ticking the box next to the Background a colour wheel will appear when the colour box is clicked. To save your changes you need to use "OK" in the colour wheel, then select the Profile at the bottom of the window to "Theme Default", then click "Apply".

For my installation Medusa did not change but I tried Firefox and Inkscape (vector graphics program I use a lot) did change.

Mike

terje

Post by terje » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:04 pm

Thanks a lot for the help.
But neither me got any color change regarding Medusa tooltip using the gnome-color-chooser.
I discovered however it changed color on Thunderbird message panel I had running.

Well, by the way, I've found something to file a bug against Gnome on openSUSE, because I did get the Medusa tooltip color correct when I lastly installed also SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop SLED12 on the same hardware. There it worked both on the default Gnome 3.10 Classical and in Shell mode sessions. See the latter attached screenshot below.

01:05.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RS880 [Radeon HD 4290] [1002:9714]
	Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device [1043:8454]
	Kernel driver in use: radeon
Medusa4_Tooltip_sled12.png
Medusa4_Tooltip_sled12.png (102.89 KiB) Viewed 3760 times

Allain

Post by Allain » Thu May 04, 2017 6:28 am

MikedCauser wrote:
The tooltips setting is under the "Specific" tab in Gnome-color-chooser. After ticking the https://www.grosseteste.com/bathmate-x30-review-results Bathmate X30 box next to the Background a colour wheel will appear when the colour box is clicked. To save your changes you need to use "OK" in the colour wheel, then select the Profile at the bottom of the window to "Theme Default", then click "Apply".

For my installation Medusa did not change but I tried Firefox and Inkscape (vector graphics program I use a lot) did change.

Mike
Is there any way to make it transparant with no border?