installation on Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit (twin Xeon) resolved

Installation, supported revisions
toolmaker

installation on Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit (twin Xeon) resolved

Postby toolmaker » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:32 pm

I am brand new to the forum. I have just downloaded the free version of Medusa.

I was unable to install, so I contacted support. I quickly received an answer that allowed the install. Medusa ran, but upon reboot I received the terminal logon and no graphics desktop.

For anyone else in that situation, I will outline here what happened and how it was resolved:

I downloaded and unpacked the file and installed the key in the same directory. I did a sudo sh medusa4_v5_2_1_linux_personal.sh and received the first error shown at http://podpourri.net/index.php?/archive ... l#extended

I went through the steps at that link, receiving and correcting the same errors. Medusa then worked.

I then rebooted my system. Upon reboot, I no longer had a graphics manager (no GUI) or the possibility of running any graphics, even Firefox.

To fix that, this is what needed to be done (using sudo when necessary):

apt-get install --reinstall xorg-xserver*
apt-get install --reinstall gdm
apt-get install --reinstall unity

After that, reboot and go into recover mode. Choose network from the list (allows networking for the next step).

When the recovery menu comes back, choose dpkg to repair broken packages.

When you get the menu back, just choose continue (I think choice number one) to boot normally from there.

The gui comes back. Medusa and everything else runs, though Medusa gives the message at startup:
QGtkStyle was unable to detect the current GTK+ theme.
QGtkStyle was unable to detect the current GTK+ theme.

I'm just starting with it, but that message doesn't seem to be a problem.

I hope this helps someone. All that happened was that the graphics system was autoremoved when the i386 packages were installed.

MikeCauser

Re: installation on Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit (twin Xeon) resolved

Postby MikeCauser » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:58 pm

I hope this helps someone. All that happened was that the graphics system was autoremoved when the i386 packages were installed.

I've been burned by this before, so now I check the lists of "To be installed" and "To be removed" very carefully. In principle nothing should be removed that isn't replaced by an equivalent installation.

Mike

toolmaker

Re: installation on Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit (twin Xeon) resolved

Postby toolmaker » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:07 pm

MikeCauser wrote:
I've been burned by this before, so now I check the lists of "To be installed" and "To be removed" very carefully. In principle nothing should be removed that isn't replaced by an equivalent installation.

Thanks. I will too, from now on. I believe what happened was that graphics modules were replaced by previous (no longer viable) versions. So it may have been seen as an equivalent installation, but it corrupted the system.

Return to “Medusa4 on Linux”