Elliptical shapes

Drafting questions
uffdaken

Elliptical shapes

Postby uffdaken » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:48 pm

Using Medusa4 Personal 5.2.1. I noticed there is not a 2D tool for Ellipse's that I could see. I do have 80 % of my Line editing tools greyed out, is this normal for the Personal version. Would like to be able to make an Elliptical where you can adjust the Major and minor axis distances.

Ken

MikeCauser

Re: Elliptical shapes

Postby MikeCauser » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:33 pm

An ellipse in Medusa is not a single curve, it is 4 curves. If you create an elipse and edit it so you can move around the points, you will see that there are 8 points to define it. The normal way to change the ellipse is to draw a group box around the three points at one end and move them by half the change required, then move the opposite end by the same amount in the opposite direction. This is all helped by creating some offset construction lines from the points of the ellipse. AFAIK the Medusa way of creating lots of construction lines and deleting them immediately after use is uncommon, but powerful once you get used to it.

In the full-fat Medusa you could drop into BaCIS-1 mode, and write your own macro to change an ellipse based on major+minor axes, but that runs at GBP4000 in the UK.

There is another possibility, to define the ellipse as a Parametric construction, where you could directly dimension the points, but depending on how much changing you want to do that may be overkill. However if you are going to need a lot of ellipses, create a parametric sheet with just an ellipse on it, change the dimensions, then copy the resulting ellipse into your working sheet.

Mike

uffdaken

Postby uffdaken » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:45 am

Hi Mike, I am just using my 2D and 3D training books for TurboCAD to learn more about Medusa4. Some people might think is is the hard way, but like programming, I find trial and error more interesting. Besides you can only learn so much with the few video's online. And I haven't seen any written (PDF) tutorials on line, which is kind of surprising considering how long Medusa been around. I will mostly use Medusa4 mainly for sheet metal pattern work for use at the museum. I will still use TurboCAD for general use. It might take 2-3 day's to figure out how to do tutorial #4 with Medusa4. Tutorial #5 also has a ellipse and two curved slot's to contend with. Thanks for the info.

Ken

uffdaken

Postby uffdaken » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:37 am

Problem solved, in fact I feel kind of stupid. But then again I am new to Medusa4. Also the icon above the Box tool, looks almost like a circle to me. And I couldn't find any mention of any ellipse tool in the index of the Drafting manual (PDF or online) considering that the tool is at the top of the "Lines and Edit" tab. Strange. The second Ellipse tool was what I was looking for.

Return to “Drafting”