Snap to grid

Drafting questions
Chris@LBS

Snap to grid

Postby Chris@LBS » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:41 pm

Hi New User to Medusa and new to CAD programs in general. But, Once I've designed something on a sheet and then move it it is no longer snapped to the grid. This makes it very difficult to make accurate revisions to the design.

Is there a way to re-snap the drawing to the grid after moving?

MikeCauser

Re: Snap to grid

Postby MikeCauser » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:00 pm

First make sure that grid snapping is turned on - Grid -> Activate Then after picking up the object(s) to be moved (an Auto Probe on any end point will probably do it), use the Grid Probe to drop it. That's the third one down in the vertical menu of probe types.

You may need to zoom in a bit for this to work satisfactorily because there are some preference settings called "Probe radii" that affect how close to a selection you need to be to make it work. These settings also affect how the various probe types are ranked for an Auto Probe.

TBH this is how it was intended to work 30 years ago, it might have been changed since then :geek:

Mike

Chris@LBS

Postby Chris@LBS » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:37 pm

Thank you for the help Mike. However, the solution didn't seem to solve my problem. The design seems to be out of alignment with the grid by a very small fraction. When trying to add additional elements, like revisions or dimensions, the new elements align with the grid so everything gets thrown off.

This was a fairly simple design so I may just redo it while at the same time working through the drafting guide to see if I can learn some new tricks, or at least a way to avoid/solve this problem. I can see myself wanting to move a completed design again in the future. Each one being redrawn isn't really going to be a valid option.

MikeCauser

Postby MikeCauser » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:56 pm

Have you checked how close the original location was to the grid? And taken into account that computer representation of "real" numbers is subject to subtle error?

CIS Medusa used to have three levels of accuracy of locations, requiring more storage space as accuracy increased. That was when discs were expensive but now that disc storage is cheaper than dirt cheap I hope that Medusa4 uses what used to be the highest accuracy level, but haven't actually tested it out.

Hmmm, I wonder if the fact that Medusa4 is still a 32-bit program is having an influence here?

Mike

Return to “Drafting”