Medusa from the old days?

Everything concerning the personal license
OldMedusa

Postby OldMedusa » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:11 pm

Hi,

There wasn't a general discussion area on the forum, so I apologize for the nature of this post in a specific forum.

Are there any Medusa users/devs around from the old days...old days, as in, Prime & Computervision days (late 1980's)?

terje

Postby terje » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:02 am

Well, yes, I used the classical CV/Prime Medusa v.5 (MC) since 89/90 and upwards to v.12 a few years into this century. Indeed I didn't use the standard MC directly, as I mainly used Medusa Builder (MB) AC applications on top as a frontend with its own tablet menus and X widgets.

Although I started first with a basic MC course some years earlier, I waited until MC/MB was ported to and available on SunOS on SparcStation 1 in 1989/90. Prime or Vax minicomputers were never interesting alternatives for me. The last years I also used MC/MB a little on W2k PC, but Sparc/Solaris was the primary working host.

These days I'm exporting our last MC/MB made projects to DXF on my old Sparc/Solaris machine. Of personal interest I have just started real self-training with Medusa4 Personal on my openSUSE Linux workstation. As I almost didn't try Medusa NG previously, Medusa4's mouse click screen GUI is a large transition from tablet menus, puck and mouse. But it help to recognize the good old working principles and basic tools.

admin

Postby admin » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:34 am

From 1981 to 1983 I ran the technical side of Medusa support at CIS in the USA, then developed the first on-screen user interface for the Sun platform from 1984 to around 1991, interspersed with spells working on MPDS, the (never released) Mechanical Assembly Modeller, prototype GIS (eventually a product for the SmallWorld spin-off) and some other stuff I'd rather forget. All a bit earlier than the original poster wanted, but WTH.

I'd like to use the latest Medusa, but get too frustrated by the lack of command-line working and Lcis (aka BaCIS1) or BaCIS2 programming in the free version.

Anyone else remember the Quayside, Chesterton and Swavesey days of CIS? Or even Prime's old brewery in Natick, where I was based in 1981/2.

Mike

camsys

Postby camsys » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:48 am

I'm a Prime Medusa alum, working in Prime park from '83 to -87, and in the central region from '87 to '92.

Did customer training, and sales support

Good Times, Good Product

terje

Postby terje » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:51 pm

[quote author=MikeC link=1287745915/2#2 date=1296174875]From 1981 to 1983 I ran the technical side of Medusa support at CIS in the USA, then developed the first on-screen user interface for the Sun platform from 1984 to around 1991, interspersed with spells working on MPDS ........snip[/quote]
Interesting to hear. I've recalled my old correspondence with CIS/CV and remember I got a little Medusa GUI demo on monocrome Sun around 1987, during our Medusa 6.X evaluation in Oslo and Stockholm. Not sure if that was a CDS3000 (Sun 2) or a MEDUSAstation (Sun 3). I just wonder if this Medusa on-screen menus on Sun was some kind of a prerunner for the later Medusa NG gui?

I also got a MPDS/Steel demo on Prime/Tectronics at that time and asked for this product on Sun/Unix workstations. The required multi user MDB was told to be expected on MEDUSAstation by 1989. Also online DARS was required before the popular third party Medusa Builder AEC applications could be ported to Medusa on Sun (a preliminar attempt based on BaCIS1 became all too slow to be useable).

So to-day, the lack of MPDS/FL on Linux looks to be similar like the Medusa state on Sun/Unix - 25 years ago ;)

I'd like to use the latest Medusa, but get too frustrated by the lack of command-line working and Lcis (aka BaCIS1) or BaCIS2 programming in the free version.

I have not thought about that. Does it mean that command line mode (BaCIS1) and macro recording are not possible in Medusa4 Personal?

Terje

admin

Postby admin » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:18 pm

[quote author=terje link=1287745915/4#4 date=1296658300]
Interesting to hear. I've recalled my old correspondence with CIS/CV and remember I got a little Medusa GUI demo on monocrome Sun around 1987, during our Medusa 6.X evaluation in Oslo and Stockholm. Not sure if that was a CDS3000 (Sun 2) or a MEDUSAstation (Sun 3). [/quote]
Could have been either. Medusa 6 ran OK on the Sun 2 I had as a home computer. Once I'd pushed the memory to the maximum of 8Mb! However the 3/60 I bought later was a lot better. That was when I did do design work at home. I've attached a drawing I did with Medusa that is the right size for a Sun background image (not sure what the BB is going to do with it though....)

I just wonder if this Medusa on-screen menu on Sun was some kind of a prerunner for the later Medusa NG gui?

No connection at all. I did some work on NG before leaving CIS in 1993, and there was nothing taken from the Rev6 nor Rev7/12 versions.

I also got a MPDS/Steel demo on Prime/Tectronics at that time and asked for this product on Sun/Unix workstations. The required multi user MDB was told to be expected on MEDUSAstation by 1989.

The Medusa DataBase ran on Sun and SGI certainly by early 1987, and the MPDS underlying engine, known as Assembly Modeler, ran too. By that time I had virtually no connection with the sales side of the business and I don't know if it was ever offered to customers.

I have not thought about that. Does it mean that command line mode (BaCIS1) and macro recording are not possible in Medusa4 Personal?

Yes. this is what the CAD-Schroer FAQ says:

[quote link=http://www.cad-schroer.com/Software/MEDUSA4/CADFreeware/CallM4PlSupportFAQ/]
Are there technical restrictions within MEDUSA4 Personal that differentiate it from the commercial version?

Yes, there are some. MEDUSA4 Personal printed outputs are marked with a banner "NOT FOR COMMERCIAL USE" which the user is not allowed to remove from the sheet. Also, MEDUSA4 Personal Sheets are not the same format as the professional version.Therefore the professional version cannot read the sheets created by the personal version. In addtion, MEDUSA4 Personal cannot be customized in the same way as the professional version. Customized versions cannot be linked into MEDUSA4 Personal. (For MEDUSA experts: MEDUSA4 Personal CODE and DDL are fixed, no DARS, Bacis1 or Bacis2)[/quote]

Mike

terje

Postby terje » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:40 pm

[quote author=MikeC link=1287745915/5#5 date=1296757103]
[quote author=terje link=1287745915/4#4 date=1296658300]
I also got a MPDS/Steel demo on Prime/Tectronics at that time and asked for this product on Sun/Unix workstations. The required multi user MDB was told to be expected on MEDUSAstation by 1989.[/quote]
The Medusa DataBase ran on Sun and SGI certainly by early 1987, and the MPDS underlying engine, known as Assembly Modeler, ran too. By that time I had virtually no connection with the sales side of the business and I don't know if it was ever offered to customers.[/quote]
Yes, I simplified a little and left out some details. To complete this accuracy, here is a merged extract of what the Medusa Product Manager, CIS Developement replied in April and May 2007:

Single User MDB
A preliminary version of this software with the on line DARS prerelease on the Sun, compatible with rev 7, but able to run under rev 6, will be available in Q2 for restricted use by developers. We are currently testing these in house, so they will be made available this quarter provided that we do not encounter major problems.

Multi User MDB
We have a firm commitment to provide this, but it is not scheduled for delivery with MEDUSA 7. It would be reasonable to assume this capability will be provided in 1988.
In technical context , the non-availability of Document Manager on MEDUSAstation results directly from the lack of multi user MDB. This requires sophisticated message passing software to be developed, which is one of our current projects. This capability would also be a prerequisite for MEDUSA plant or electrical products.
I am unable to make definite commitments that any of this software will be available on MEDUSAstation by 1989. The Multi User MDB release, expected during 1988 on MEDUSAstation, will solve one major technical problem. The decision to supply any of these dependent products will then become more commercially based.
-----------------

Ok about BaCIS. I was aware about fixed CODE and DDL and that medconfig cannot be used to build projects. What I have not yet been able to find out, is if it possible to upconvert multiple old drawings and symbols with command line utility, or if this only is possible one by one interactively?

crhailey

Postby crhailey » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:50 pm

I used (well, mostly managed) Medusa in a Water Authority from 1987 until 1994 when I was made redundant because the firm were clearly heading towards AutoCAD after a merger. We used CV Medusa 6, 7 and 12 running on a VAX minis at first, and later on VAXStations.
I've just installed the Personal version out of curiosity really. Like others, the lack of lcis functionality is the biggest disappointment for me.

vaxorcist

Postby vaxorcist » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:51 pm

Has anyone out there still got CV Medusa V6 for VAX/VMS software??? I'm looking for this for use in my personal VAX museum (MicroVAX II GPX, VAXstation 2000, VAXstation 3200).

I managed CIS MEDUSA V7 & V12 back in 1988 - 1995. We had up to 15 VAX workstations in a dual server Local Area VAX Cluster.

This was the best time I ever had in my working life!

Ulli

P.S.
Are there any more "old MEDUSERS" running old MEDUSA just for fun?

admin

Postby admin » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:11 pm

[quote author=OldMedusa link=1287745915/0#0 date=1287745915]Hi,

Are there any Medusa users/devs around from the old days...old days, as in, Prime & Computervision days (late 1980's)?[/quote]

Here's some very early Medusa still on the web:

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=_0be ... sa&f=false

The aircraft (Supermarine Spitfire) was modeled over one intensive weekend in 1980 on a single-user Prime 750. The drawing from which New Scientist took this illustration has four instances of the model with two in formation in the background and two peeling off as if in attack.

At the time the modeler did not have the boolean operations built in, but the model pieces had to created separately and then added/subtracted by external command-line functions, and then the result instanced back in. On-sheet booleans were added before the 3D module was shipped to customers, thank goodness...

Mike

Return to “Medusa4 Personal License”