Medusa from the old days?

Everything concerning the personal license
MikeCauser

Medusa from the old days?

Postby MikeCauser » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:55 pm

[quote author=MikeC link=1287745915/9#9 date=1321528278]

The aircraft (Supermarine Spitfire) was modeled over one intensive weekend in 1980 on a single-user Prime 750.[/quote]

In fact it was 1981.

Not that this actually matters much, but it seems I need to make at least 1 post under this new identity before I can email admin to say that my old password is rejected and I'm getting a message about corrupt YaBB database when I try to get a password confirmation.

We now return you to normal programming.

Mike Causer (was: MikeC)

Tim

Re: Medusa from the old days?

Postby Tim » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:35 pm

Hi Oldtimers,

In the early 90s, I was working for company that bought Pro-E. I was told Pro-E was started by ex-Computervision people. At that time, CV was still in business and its main customers were in the Auto industries such as GM. Is this true? Was Medusa in the forefront of all that business? In what industry does Medusa figure more prominently nowadays?
Tim
Medusa4 Personal 5.1.2

MikeCauser

Re: Medusa from the old days?

Postby MikeCauser » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:31 pm

In the early 90s, I was working for company that bought Pro-E. I was told Pro-E was started by ex-Computervision people.

Correct AIUI, see chapter 16 here: http://www.cadhistory.net/toc.htm

At that time, CV was still in business and its main customers were in the Auto industries such as GM. Is this true?

In business yes, in what industries I don't know because I was never involved with CADDS, only Medusa. However, I did visit GM's CAD people once, and Ford's many times. I never saw CADDS at either place. CIS Inc wrote a two-way interface between Ford's internaly-developed PDGS and Medusa, hence my many visits -- I was VP Engineering for CIS Inc. (and part-time programmer).

Was Medusa in the forefront of all that business?

Absolutely! Medusa had real 3D solid modelling in 1981, and parametrics in 1982 (may not have reached customers until 1983). Compare the dates in the PTC document above.

Medusa appears a few times in the chapter on Computervision, but it isn't particularly accurate. I've trried emailing the author, David Weisberg, with corrections -- and scans of contemporary CV and CIS internal documents (!) -- but had no response.

In what industry does Medusa figure more prominently nowadays?

Pass.

Mike

Return to “Medusa4 Personal License”